Madidi Clouds, MidnightRegular price $ 5.00
The Andean spectacled bear, a mysterious and endangered species and inspiration for Paddington Bear, was the focus of my years of study in the Andean cloud forest of Bolivia’s Madidi National Park. During long periods spent alone for my research, I became obsessed with the intricate patterns and colour around me. Lichens, thin-lipped frogs, hummingbirds and toucans, along with my bears, were the subjects of my detailed drawings, and have formed the basis of this design. The composition of the design itself was inspired by a Josef Frank design from 1938 called Anakreon. His design was based on a 3,500-year-old fresco, discovered by a friend of Frank’s, from the palace in Knossos on Crete.
The design repeats once across the 70cm width of the wallpaper on the medium scale design. This design is also available in a large scale on a wide width wallpaper, at 137cm.
With exquisite botanical detail, this design builds on biophilic passion in interiors for honouring the natural world. Furthermore, for every roll of wallpaper sold, 100m2 of critical wild Habitat is preserved through World Land Trust.
This is an eco-friendly Fine gicleé digitally-printed “real” wallpaper. It is printed in the UK on a natural non-woven cellulose-based substrate made from recycled materials – recycled polyester (PET) fibre and recycled wood pulp. The production process is solvent free with minimal waste and energy inputs.
***Installation photo with chair shows the LARGE pattern***
• Each roll is 2ft 3.6in x 10.9 yards for the MEDIUM or 4ft 7in x 10.9 yards for the LARGE
• Repeat: 18.4" half drop for the medium or 36.8" half drop for the large
• Printed to order, 2-3 week lead time.
• The designs are printed on Uncoated Non-woven 147gsm. This design will also be available on Coated Non-woven 147gsm. The uncoated wallpaper has a matt finish and vibrant but gentle, muted colours. The Coated wallpaper has a slight shine, is more wipeable and has deeper colours.
• Fire certified for both Europe and the USA. Classified to BS En 13501-1-1:2002, class B, s1, d0
Multi colored illustration on a dark background
Newton Paisley designs tell the stories of endangered and neglected species, whilst rejoicing in their extraordinary diversity and beauty. Their mission is to celebrate nature and inspiring people to create beautiful, biophilic home-habitats. As reported by Pattern Observer, flora and fauna make up fully 70% of the textile design market across fashion and home interiors, yet often these designs are lick-and-stick or lacking context in the natural world. Newton Paisley designs are different – full of geeky specificity, authenticity, narrative, love…. Each design tells stories of neglected and endangered species, and, even better, contributes towards the preservation of critical wild habitat.